The Clarrie Milne Collection in the Vaughan Sheilds Shed
A selection of displays at the Chapman Valley Historical Society Museum
1928 Rugby truck
Bought from the Geraldton Show, 28 September 1928 and used on the Wilton farm at East Yuna.
The Rugby was a brand of automobile assembled by Durant Motors Company of New York City, New York (USA)
horse drawn buggy
The number plate on the buggy is of special interest. They were released in 1923/1924 and were for buggy’s that were for hire. This is one of only 4 that is known in Western Australia. The buggy was used by the Murphy Bros. at Red Hill farm.
roadside mail bag
Mail delivered by Yuna Mail was left in these bags in drums by the farmers gate.
TED PORTER'S COTTAGE
Built around 1920 when the Upper Chapman Road Board was in a position to employ an assistant Shire Clerk. Ted Porter was the young man who was employed by the Road Board and was the first employee to live in the cottage. It is very small and Ted only slept and had his breakfast there. Mrs Ella Murphy from Nanson, provided him with an evening meal. Over the years many people have made the cottage their home for a short time.
TIME LINE OF THE CHAPMAN VALLEY DISTRICT
On two walls within the museum, is the Timeline of the Chapman Valley District. This is the history and stories of the district, that provide an overview of the development and progress, since George Grey discovered the Chapman River in 1839 and named the district.
1940 Child's high chair
The wooden high chair was purchased by the Heinrich family in the 1940’s and was used by Merv & Phyllis Heinrich for their six children and later for some of the grandchildren.
humble & Sons wool press
The Ferrier wool presses were manufactured by Humble &
Nicholson and later by Humble & Sons in Geelong, Victoria, from about 1860’s to 1933 when the business went out of family hands. Many farms and stations in the district used one of these.
1930-40's Telephone switchboard
This Nanson telephone switchboard was operated by Mrs Eileen Wilton. A telecommunications system used to interconnect circuits of telephones to establish telephone calls between users.