The Victory Brickworks
When Narra Tarra estate was sub-divided the Eastough family took up a smaller holding calling it ‘Glendoone’. A brick kiln stood on the North West bank of the Chapman River, north of the homestead. It was in operation from 1907 and possibly up until about 1926 when the Narra Tarra mine closed. The brickworks were situated on the Nabawa-Yetna Road, better known by its local name, the Rubbish Tip Road.
Bricks that were pressed and fired there, included one designed for the Protheroe smelter to enclose the boiler at the mine. These were approximately 2 1/2″ at one end and 4 1/2″ at the other. The kiln was most probably fired by Jam wood.
Bricks from this kiln were used in the construction of the Upper Chapman Roads Board Office in 1913.
April 23, 1907 Geraldton Guardian, p. 4.
Mr. W. Bennett’s new brickworks at the Chapman River are now in full working order. Good water has been procured for manufacturing purposes, and the kiln is now nearly completed. The first burning will be had in about a fortnight’s time.
June 28, 1907 Geraldton Guardian p. 2.
VICTORY BRICK WORKS.
(To the Editor.)
Sir,— Those about to erect dwellings would do well to inspect a brick now manufactured at the Victory brickworks on the banks of the Chapman River ; this brick is a pressed sample, and a highly creditable one. A great want has been felt in Geraldton and Murchison goldfields -owing to a sound brick not being procurable within reasonable distance, and consequently must be very expensive – to mining companies and others desiring a stable brick to stand the heat of furnaces. The Victory yards are a recent undertaking, and the management lost no time in installing an up to-date press, for the owners, being in the building trade themselves, were aware of the necessity of a good brick. The yards on the Chapman have been altogether hurriedly developed, but the management never lost sight of stability of structure and plenty of shed-room for their drying, and on the whole the works are a model as far as our locality is concerned.
There is a well about 45ft. deep with a considerable depth of water and bricked with specially prepared bricks from bottom to 3ft. over the surface; and this well may be deemed the model of the district. A fine windmill is erected which irrigates the ground in advance of the clay pickers and lessens a considerable amount of labour in that respect. The sheds are of large construction, some 150ft or 160ft long by 40ft or 50ft wide. There was some objection raised recently against the kiln fires being a menace to traveller’s horses, being close to the road, as it is, but no such thing has yet happened, for the kiln stands some 5ft or 6ft underground. The firm has as yet only burned one kiln of about 60,000, but the second burning is about to be put through, and if the sample turns out to be as good as the initial one, we may see a quality of brick long conspicuous by its absence from our district. — I am, etc., STABILITY.